You’re here because you want a job.
And you know in this digital age that video interviews are becoming increasingly part of the hiring process. Hiring managers filling remote jobs will almost always leverage video interviewing because it allows them to consider more applicants and candidates that are largely spread apart.
Perhaps you’ve been asked to do a video interview in the near future. Perhaps your remote dream job is on the line. Either way, you realize that mastering them is essential to get a job in this digital age. But either:
- You don’t know where to shoot your interview. In your home, outside, or in a coffee shop? What if you live in a messy small apartment or have roommates? What if lighting is poor and you don’t want to look like you live in a dungeon?
- You don’t know what to wear. Sure, it might look good in-person, but will it look good on camera? What colors and patterns should you stay away from? Should you match the dress code that everyone else at the company follows?
- You don’t know how to set-up your shot. How far away from the camera should you be? Standing or sitting? Should the camera be above or below your eye level? How much of you should they see?
- You don’t feel confident in front of a camera. How much eye contact do you give the camera? How do you even think when you’re supposed to stare and talk to a small black lens? How do you just be yourself? What can you do to practice this skill?
- You don’t have a strategy to answer any open-ended question like, “Tell me about yourself”. How long should your answer be? How do the pro’s answer these questions?
- You don’t have a strategy to answer behavioral based questions like, “Tell me about a time when you had to make a difficult decision”. How can you answer these questions other than by using the STAR framework like everyone else does? How can you not sound like a robot answering these questions? How can you stand out and make them trust, like, and connect with you emotionally over video?
- You’re fearful they might have an objection to your skills or experience. What if you lack a skill, lack years of experience, have a low GPA, have a gap in employment, are switching industries, etc? How do you redirect these questions and turn them into a strength?
If any of the above mindsets or questions resonate with you, then you’ll love this guide.
Here, you’ll find an immense amount of dense material you can use to prepare for and ace your video interviews, feel more confident, and prove to them that you’re the hire they’ve been looking for.
Table of Contents
Here’s a quick preview of everything that’s included in this 27,380 word guide to video interviewing.
Download the 107-Page PDF Version Of This Guide
If you’re reading this on my website, then download the FULL PDF version of this guide by entering your name and email below. This will allow you to navigate through it faster, read it without needing internet, and print it out, laminate it, and put it on your bookshelf front and center for all your house guests.
The Ultimate Guide to Video Interviews: The Introduction
What Is This?
The Ultimate Guide to Video Interviews is the most detailed and comprehensive piece of content online for preparing for your video interviews.
I spent hundreds of hours over several months researching the career world and talking to people like you, asking them what their biggest pains were with video interviews. Mixing that research with my own knowledge and experience, I put this guide together as I found nothing else like it out there already.
In this guide, you’ll find:
- Proven interviewing strategies and techniques that will “WOW” the hiring manager and make them think, “This is the person I’ve been looking for!”
- How to go from awkward and uncomfortable to confident and composed in front of a camera.
- Everything you need to prepare your camera, lighting, audio, location, and clothing to erase distractions make yourself look really good.
- The biggest challenges to prepare for and mistakes you should avoid with two-way and one-way video interviews.
You’ll also find that a lot of this material can be used in your phone and in-person interviews as well.
Hi, I’m Alex!
I started my career off at NASA working with rocket-scientists and landing things on Mars. But I wanted more of my life to be spent living, not working. Now I work from wherever I want in the world. After only 3 months in my new job I was promoted 2 levels up the ladder and had negotiated a $22,877 increase in salary using some of the exact strategies and techniques in this Guide.
As I’m working my full-time dream job I’ve started weworkfromwherever.com, a home for career advice specific to ambitious professionals aspiring to go remote or currently working remotely. Advice that works, for us.
I’m passionate about helping you land your next work-from-home or work-from-wherever job, get paid what you’re worth, negotiate huge raises, or get promoted – so you can start living the life you want today.
I’m really excited you’re here and I hope you’ll enjoy reading this guide.
How This Guide Is Different From All Other Free Resources on Video Interviewing
The truth is that there’s no one proven, complete guide out there for video interviewing.
Just like DNA, your video interview is going to be different from everyone else’s. There are hundreds of thousands of different questions that you could be asked. And there are hundreds of different job industries and hundreds of thousands of different job titles and companies out there.
Also, you have a unique set of experiences, qualifications, and skills. So your interview answers will be different from everyone else’s. Don’t believe anyone that says, THESE are the words you should use to answer THIS question.
What I’ve included in this guide are high-level, proven strategies and techniques that you can apply to your unique set of qualifications and the specific job you’re after.
Also, don’t believe experts who say you should prepare for a video interview just like an in-person interview. Video interviewing has its own set of challenges, advantages, psychological barriers, and technology nuances.
Sure, you can Google “10 Video Interviewing Tips”, but that’s not going to make you feel completely prepared and confident. “Just look at the camera!” As if it were that easy.
Tips don’t get you hired, ultimate guides, systems, strategies, and proven techniques do.
Also, watching a handful of YouTube videos on video interviewing that are purposely geared towards getting a high view count aren’t going to work either. They might make you FEEL ready, but most likely you’re going to feel uncomfortable, rush your answer, get flustered, spew out the first thing that comes to your mind, not answer the question correctly and end up not saying anything of substance.
There’s no free resource that dives DEEP into the different elements of video interview preparation, that breaks down every component and provides micro-strategies for each one. There’s no resource out there that teaches you how to use body language and vocal fluency to look and feel competent on camera, that teaches you how to deeply connect with your interviewer over video so that they trust you and like you more.
I know why there isn’t a guide like this out there yet. It’s an INSANE amount of work.
But now you have the most comprehensive ULTIMATE guide to video interviewing at your fingertips. Read it, apply it, and go get hired.
Before You Begin: Invest In Yourself
By downloading this ultimate guide, reading, and applying it to your own job search, you will be trampling on top of your competition in landing your dream job. You will be investing in yourself much more than those who Google “Top 10 Video Interviewing Tips” a couple hours before their video interview.
This Ultimate Guide will rival many other people’s paid content. I could easily charge for this guide, but I’m happily offering it to you for free.
I only ask that you do 2 things in return:
1. Share it with your ambitious friends, coworkers, and those in your professional network by pointing them to weworkfromwherever.com. Share it with anyone you know that loves investing in themselves, like you do, and would benefit from knowing how to conquer their video interviews.
2. Take Action. I don’t want you to read this Guide and say, “Ya I should do that sometime” and then just wing it in your video interview. Don’t wait for tomorrow. Apply the concepts, strategies, and techniques in this guide today in order to get a better return on your investment (your time reading this guide and your time going through the interview process).
And for those of you that want to invest in yourselves even more, I offer Private Coaching services that will accelerate your ability to land your dream work-from-wherever job, get paid what you’re worth, negotiate huge raises, get you promoted, and give you skills to do it again and again for the rest of your career. Contact me to learn more.
Get Started With Reading The First Chapter of This Guide!
Continue to Chapter 1: Why Video Interview Are Here To Stay
Download the FULL PDF version of this guide (all 107 Pages) by entering your name and email below!